Friday, December 7, 2012

Intermission: what could I say here?

Perhaps it is because of this event (the panel I mean) that I am having soon that I seem confused and don't know really whether I should write about it or not. Well, well, if you think my name is Shaimaa Zaher, that is true but it is not completely the whole truth; the other name is El Naggar; last year (this year) I used to say it with a stress on El, followed by a pause, then N"aggar, with a rising intonation after 'N'; making a dive, like a fish in a small bowl, looking at what I identify as 'Us' in New Cairo, my niece on the table having lunch, and my brother telling me that I have to take the bowl home because he will be away in Alexandria.
 
This week, a strange thing happened; I dropped my family name as I was introducing myself in a seminar at university. In a way, it was heart-breaking; I missed the image of my father stepping the platform with his stick or feeling his hands trembling as we cross the street in New Cairo.
 
But then, two days ago, I said it the same way as I used to, my name on ink and paper: bold font, on a research paper (twenty pages..!)  in an important (that is how I see it) journal.
 
Please find the link below:
 
And in those historical moments, I would like to thank my family for their support throughout, my supervisors, colleagues, lecturers and friends at Lancaster ...
 
 
       

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello fantastic blog! Does running a blog sіmilar to this take a lot of worκ?
ӏ've virtually no knowledge of programming but I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off topic but I simply needed to ask. Kudos!
My page - Chemietoilette

Shaimaa Zaher said...

@ anonymous:
Thanks for your comment.